Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Remember To Thank Mom and Dad

May 30th marks approximately the halfway point between Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. At this time, I thought it appropriate to reflect on the positive influence that our parents may have had on our running.

My parents encouraged my siblings and I to participate in a number of different athletics growing up including running, basketball, baseball, soccer, gymnastics, golf, and swimming. My mother shuttled us back and forth to practices, games, and meets. My father attended nearly every game and even coached on a few of our teams. My brother, sister and I were all athletically-inclined, however, none of us were extraordinarily talented. My parents likely saw this eventuality early on. Nonetheless, they invested their money, time, and emotional energy into our athletic pursuits with encouragement and pride.

In doing so, they sent the message early on that being fit, strong, and confident is important. This message has carried through into adulthood. My siblings and I are all runners. My sister has complete two marathons. My brother has completed a marathon and the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon. We enjoy running and it is an important part of our lives.

I got the running bug very early in life. I ran in a number of 5-milers and 10k’s when I was a teenager growing-up in Pittsburgh. The shallow talent pool in lower age brackets allowed me to win a few age group awards. What must it have been like for my father to wake at 5:45 am on a Saturday morning (after he’d worked all week) to take me to a local 5-mile race? I remember him standing by the starting line with a cup of coffee encouraging me as I took off. About 35 minutes later after I finished, he’d then have to wait another hour for the awards ceremony to begin. I’d then collect an age group trophy (even if only 3 people competed in my age group). As the years have passed and I’ve become a parent myself, I realize now what a sacrifice of my parent’s time this was. But they never complained, always encouraged, never pushed, and always greeted me with a smile at the finish line.

My parents knew early on that I’d never be the next Salazar. Nonetheless, their support of my running at an early age is a deeply embedded part of my current love for the sport. Thank you Mom and Dad.

2 comments:

Soulseros said...

Yes, I will thank my parents. They were both runners and I wanted to be just like them. My dad no longer runs due to injury/surgery but my mom and I still do races together (Honolulu Marathon this year). So I run for my dad, who no longer can. If I could give him back his ability I would.

everyrunner said...

Thank you for the comment, Summer. It is quite inspiring that you and your mom run races together. I hope that one of my children takes an interest in running and my knees hold-up long enough to run races with them. What an experience that must be. Best wishes in training for the Honolulu Marathon and on your dad's recovery.