Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Create Your Own Rave Run

Every month Runner’s World magazine features a photograph and brief description of a “Rave Run”. The Rave Run is generally a beautiful running locale with outstanding scenery. In viewing these photos, I always wish that I could be magically transported to that magical place.

Most of us do not have the luxury of logging our daily miles in scenic locales like Boulder, CO or Asheville, NC. We run through our boring neighborhoods or local greenways because they are convenient and safe places to run. I am similarly restricted to my greenway in the suburbs of Atlanta, Georgia. It is a nice place to run but not necessarily what one would consider a “rave run” – until last weekend.

Several weeks ago, I left my home earlier than normal for an out and back 10-miler on my local greenway. This particular morning, I left my home at 6:00 am, 45 minutes before sunrise. About 45 minutes into my run, I had made my turn and was heading home. I then climbed a small ridge on the trail that allowed for a several mile view into the distance. In past runs, I thought nothing of this view as it contained only evidence of suburban sprawl. This morning, however, I was captivated by the view to the east from this ridge. The sun was just rising from the east. The sky was lit up in a brilliant array of colors. From high to low in the pre-dawn sky, yellow faded into orange which faded into red. The beauty of this scene inspired me. As I plodded along, the sunrise was mine alone to enjoy for the next few minutes. I soaked it up for all that it was worth.

This wasn’t Boulder or Asheville. It was a non-descript greenway in the suburbs. Nevertheless, my run was timed perfectly in the pre-dawn hour to capture the beauty of the sunrise on my home course. I truly felt that I had, for a moment, experienced a rave run equal to those inspirational photos seen in Runner’s World every month.

On your next run through your neighborhood, consider altering your timing in conjunction with pre-dawn or pre-dusk hours. You could be rewarded with a rave run of your own.

No comments: