Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Vacuum of Sound and Thought

“Isn’t running boring?” I’m often asked this question from non-runners. Ten years ago, I would have responded, “No, I’ve got my radio/headphones.” My current answer is, “No, period.” Time and circumstances have greatly changed my perspective on the entertainment value of running. And my current perspective is that I don’t need to be entertained at all.

Years ago, I wouldn’t have set foot out the door on a run longer than 20 minutes without earphones. Music, news talk, sports talk, and live games seemed to help the miles fly by faster. My mind would detach from the perceived boredom of the run and the occasional discomfort during later miles. Ten years, a wife, three kids, and increased job stress later, I don’t want the miles to fly by faster. Granted, we all want to run faster, but this is not what I’m talking about. I want the running experience to last longer – not shorter. Because when the run ends, it’s back to the real world.

Granted, I love my family and want to spend as much time as possible with them. In fact, I enjoy running with my kids in the Baby Jogger as much as anything. But running is my respite from the stresses of real life. Running releases negative energy. Running strengthens the body. Running renews the spirit. So with all of this good stuff going on during my runs, I no longer want them cluttered every day with music, news talk, sports talk, or games.

More importantly, I no longer want my runs cluttered with any thoughts whatsoever. Many runners say that their best and most creative thoughts and ideas take place during runs. Writers are able to create and work through plots. Financial analysts can see the revenue projections more clearly. Managers think of plans to allocate resources more efficiently. I’m not disparaging how these people operate but it’s simply not for me. Plots, revenue projections, and resource allocations are job-related real life stresses. By running, I’m trying to escape this environment and find a bit of quiet and inner peace one mile at a time.

Through this approach, running helps create a near perfect vacuum of thought and sound. My only thoughts pertain to my pace, energy levels, stride, an upcoming race, or the beauty of the landscape. The only sounds are those of nature, my footfalls, and heartbeat. By simply running, I am able to just be. Sometimes this is the very best place of all.

3 comments:

Ax said...

Ditto!! This is exactly why I love running. I couldn't have said it better.

Brook said...

I agree. After running a couple years, I'm not even sure where I put my iPod that I used to be so dependent on. Those other thoughts still creep in a lot though.

Anonymous said...

I still enjoy music - a chance to catch up on tunes that I can't sit and listen to - but I can relate to this post. I have been known to slow down on a run just to keep my little me time for a few more minutes.