Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Big South Fork 17.5 Mile Trail Race

In October 2005, I had the honor of running the Big South Fork 17.5 Mile Trail Race. Listed below is a race report detailing this wonderful experience.

Big South Fork Trail Race – 17.5 miles – October 1, 2005
Big South Fork State Park straddles the Tennessee and Kentucky border just west of Interstate 75. It is a lesser-known than The Smokey Mountains National Park but also less crowed and beautiful in its own right. The South Fork of the Cumberland River cuts through the Park creating an enormous gorge hundreds of feet deep. The gorge provides for striking scenic views from both overlooks and the river below. Years ago, I hiked through Big South Fork and negotiated its river on an inflatable kayak. Impressed by the Park’s solitude and rugged beauty, I have always wanted to return. So when the opportunity to run the Big South Fork 17.5 Mile Trail Race presented itself, I jumped at the chance. I was slightly under-trained for the event but figured that a little walking wouldn’t hurt my pride and might even save my shot knees and hamstrings. The drive from Atlanta the night before the race with my running crew was uneventful and our stay at the Comfort Inn in nearby Pioneer, Tennessee was comfortable.

The drive to the Park the morning of the race was inspiring and troubling at the same time. Driving by the farms on the Cumberland Plateau was peaceful. As soon as we entered Big South Fork State Park, however, the landscape changed dramatically. Soon the rolling hills turned into a steep descent through a series of switchbacks into the gorge and to the South Fork of the Cumberland River. The road was more suitable for mule than car. We crossed the River and began a series of similar switchbacks up the other side of the gorge to the Bandy Creek Campground. Would the steep terrain and treacherous road be a foreshadowing of things to come?

Upon arrival at the starting area, I knew this would be no ordinary race. The other runners looked as fit, strong, and seasoned as any I had ever seen. They also looked incredibly relaxed as many of them had run the race before and knew what to expect. I quickly felt out of place and over my head. Nonetheless, I began my pre-race stretching, hydrating, and fueling routine as if this was no different than a neighborhood 10k. By race-time (8:30 am), the sun was fully shining through the trees and it was already 70 degrees. It was going to be a warm day and I knew I would be on the course for at least three hours. My Nathan Elite 1 Plus Hydration Pack would be a necessary ally today. Extra fluids and energy gels would certainly come in handy later.

After some last minute instructions from the race director about the course changes and warnings about yellow jackets, the gun was fired and about 200 hardy souls began their own epic adventures. The first mile and a half was run on paved and gravel roads in the park. This was smart since the remainder of the course was single track trail. It allowed everyone to find their place. My place was towards the back half of the pack. The last thing I wanted to hear all morning was “on your left” as runners passed me. The paved and gravel roads were flat or slightly downhill, the crowd thinned-out, and everyone picked their spots. Soon we entered the woods and formed a single line. Almost immediately after leaving the road, the trail descended in a series of steep switchbacks. Most runners seemed to negotiate the descent with ease but I wasted no time in stumbling over roots and rocks. “Pick-up your feet and pay attention” I told myself. Mile 2 was not the place to fall and get injured.

After the steep descent, the trail leveled-out for a brief period as we passed the John Litton/Slaven Farm and then reentered the woods. For the next 3 miles, the trail rolled up and down past streams, over small bridges, and under rock ledges. While the area was isolated, I was not. Traveling with me were about a dozen runners who settled into the same pace. I tried keep a safe distance from the runner ahead of me in order to spot trail hazards such as rocks, roots, and downed trees. That’s right - during the course of the race, participants had to climb over or crawl under about a dozen fallen trees crossing the trail. Most were brought to us courtesy of storms spawned by Hurricane Katrina.

The single track format bunched things up a bit too much at the beginning. At the time I was feeling good and fought the urge to run faster. Passing was difficult and even dangerous at this stage of the race. I didn’t know it at the time but the slower single-track format saved me from myself. Deep down I knew that picking-up the pace and passing that this point was stupid.

At around mile 5 we entered the 6.8 mile Grand Gap Loop Trail. The first half of the Loop followed the west rim of the gorge and the South Fork of the Cumberland River upstream. Off to the right were spectacular views of the gorge, the opposing rim, and the river. Some runners stopped at overlooks to take in the scenery. I tried to enjoy the views on the move but began stumbling again on rocks and roots if I took my eyes off of the trail for more than a split second. Regardless, to say that this part of the trail is beautiful is an understatement. Dense woods on your left and a 1,000 foot descent on your right.

By mile 8 or 9, the running groups began to thin-out. I was on my own for a while and it felt good. Running with a crew certainly helps you maintain the pace of the crew. But this race was meant to be run with nature. I managed to pick-up the pace for the next few miles and passed a few runners. Courtesy and sportsmanship among these runners was the norm. If a runner heard you coming from behind, chances are he or she would voluntarily move off to the right without a word. If a runner stumbled and fell (which happened frequently), everyone stopped to help the runner up and ensure the runner could continue before motoring ahead. These acts of politeness helped make for a wonderful experience.

The aid station at mile 9 never seemed to come. I began to get agitated and couldn’t believe I was running that slowly. As it turned-out, the next aid station was at about 10.5 miles. This explained it. I immediately felt better and charged on. Soon thereafter, I happened upon the 12 mile aid station. There were a total of 5 aid stations. At each one, I took time to drink water and stretch.

Miles 12 to 14 were marked by some down-hills. I took advantage and opened-up my stride a bit. It felt good. I had run a conservative race so far and even walked a few steep up-hills. I had consumed several PowerGels and about 22 ounces of PowerBar Endurance Formula Drink. Running faster on the descents was treacherous but also exhilarating. The end was close and I wanted to truly experience the terrain in all of its severity.

I’m glad that I raced faster for a few miles because at mile 15 it all came to an end. We began going up the same downhill switchbacks that marked the first few miles of the race. By this point, most runners who had not already finished were hurting. There were quite a few walkers. On the steep uphill switchbacks, I became one of them. Walking was just as fast as running so I figured what difference does it make? The next two miles was about the slowest I had ever run. At one point, we were required to climb a 10 foot ladder. And climbing actually felt better than running. My legs were flooded with lactic acid and my form had deteriorated to a shuffle.

With about a half mile left, we exited the trail and entered a road. The end was near and I felt an immediate boost. Crossing the finish line in 3 hours and 6 minutes, all speed records were out the window. The course had taken its tool on my body . At the same time, the race lifted my spirits, strengthened my soul, reinforced my zeal for the wonderful sport that is trail running.

The Big South Fork 17.5 Mile Trail Race was truly a unique and wonderful experience. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys trail running or simply wants experience the sport at its core without the fanfare. More information can be found about this race on the Knoxville Track Club’s website at http://www.ktc.org/.



No comments: